Wednesday, September 15, 2021

 

I think everyone has figured out by now that I am anti-stupidity/conspiracy-theory and anti-COVID. I am pro-vaccine and pro-mask/social distancing/hygiene. I have begged. I have pleaded. I have chastised. And I have argued that we should ALL be doing everything we can to prevent the spread of COVID.

 I am starting to become uncomfortable with some of the tactics the media and other vaccine proponents are using to try and convince the vaccine hesitant to get the shot. I say the hesitant because those who have declared themselves 100% anti-vaccine will never take the shot no matter how much logic, statistics, scientific fact, argument, or shame you throw at them. Media coverage, even social media, is starting to feel a bit ghoulish to me. Pictures of people lined up in ICU beds, hooked up to machines with tubes shoved down their throats. Almost gleeful reports of high-profile anti-vaccine radio personalities dying from COVID.

 When I went into septic shock in October of 2019, I was intubated and spent ten days in a coma. The powerful antibiotics they gave me to save my life also left me permanently disabled and I continue to try and walk on legs with damaged muscles, tendons, and nerves from that time. I originally blamed my negative reaction to news reels of intubated patients on my PTSD from that experience. And that may very well be. But I am also hearing others express their discomfort as well.

 Every day there seems to be at least one news story about an outspoken anti-vax radio or tv personality who has died from COVID. The tone is smug. It is never said directly, but there is a “see, I told you so” implication. Likewise, when they interview exhausted doctors and nurses, telling stories of the non-famous anti-vaxxers who are wishing for the vaccine on their death beds. This ghoulish (in my opinion) tactic is not doing any good and I am afraid it may be doing more harm than good.

 It is akin to those humane society commercials. You know the ones with the incredibly sad song in the background and a barrage of awful images of animals who have been mistreated, malnourished, and/or abused. That tactic is a waste of money and resources. Those who can stomach the images more than likely will not be moved enough to donate time and money. Those who it could reach are like me, too upset by the images to be moved to donate time and money. I cannot reach the remote fast enough to turn the station when I hear the first note.

 The hard-core anti-vaxxers have made up their minds and no matter what, will not be moved. Those who are hesitant are likely to be like me with the humane society and just hide it or tune it out. I’m not saying we should stop all coverage on the subject. I guess what I am wishing for is a more straight-forward approach. Present the statistics, like hospitals are doing. We must do something different because current strategies are not working. We have started down the path of mandates, which is not going to work either. For most people I know, telling them they are required to do something they do not want to do is just going to make them fight it even harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment